Redlands awards $11.2 million after-school contract to Boys & Girls Club, replacing some YMCA sites

Parents and students raise concerns as the district shifts providers for after-school programming at some campuses.

Redlands awards $11.2 million after-school contract to Boys & Girls Club, replacing some YMCA sites
Outside the Redlands Unified board room. Redlands Unified School Board voted May 12 to approve an $11.2 million contract with Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Redlands-Riverside to provide Expanded Learning Opportunities Program (ELOP) services. (Photo by CFR News/File)

REDLANDS, Calif. — The Redlands Unified School District has approved a three-year, $11.25 million contract with Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Redlands-Riverside to provide Expanded Learning Opportunities Program (ELOP) services across seven school sites beginning in the 2026–27 school year.

Why it matters: The agreement represents a major expansion of the Boys & Girls Club’s role in Redlands Unified’s after-school programming. The district’s previous agreement with the organization was valued at approximately $1.1 million over two years, while the newly approved contract totals roughly $3.75 million annually over three years.

Details: Under the agreement, the Boys & Girls Club will provide staffing, enrichment programming, transportation support and intersession services at seven campuses, including:

  • Bryn Mawr Elementary School
  • Franklin Elementary School
  • Lugonia Elementary School
  • Mentone Elementary School
  • Victoria Elementary School
  • Beattie Middle School
  • Clement Middle School

The agreement also includes specialized transportation and support services at the Boys & Girls Club Dennis Hansberger Clubhouse site on Clay Street, along with summer, winter and spring intersession programming that includes breakfast and lunch service.

District documents show the contract spans from the 2026-27 through the 2028-29 school years.

The district's ELOP Plan, effective July 2025, shows that Boys & Girls Club previously operated programming at Beattie Middle School. Ten other ELOP campuses were operated through a combination of RUSD staff and the After School Education and Safety (ASES) program structure in partnership with the Redlands Educational Partnership (REP) and YMCA of the East Valley.

The district’s most recent one-year agreement funding the YMCA-operated ASES program through REP totaled approximately $1.93 million and expires June 30, 2026.

District officials did not indicate during the meeting when agreements for the remaining ELOP campuses would come before the board.

Before the board vote: Several speakers said they were concerned not only about the provider change at some school sites, but also about continuity for students, transportation logistics and the lack of detailed information provided to families before the vote.

“It makes me nervous,” one Redlands parent said. “Our kids have already built a relationship with them and feel safe within the program.”

Two students who spoke during public comment praised their experiences in YMCA after-school programs and raised concerns about the transition.

“Out of the YMCA and the Boys & Girls Club, which I have both attended, I would choose the Y,” one Redlands student told the board. “Since I've attended both, I can definitely say that since I've joined the Y, I have learned lots of new skills.”  

District administrators sought to reassure families that after-school programming itself is not being eliminated. Cabral said a flyer circulated earlier in the day caused confusion among some parents because it suggested the ASES program itself would be discontinued.

“I assure you, the ASES program is not going away,” Superintendent Juan Cabral  said during the meeting, referring to the After School Education and Safety program. “We will have afterschool programs at sites where we have afterschool programs right now. There is no cost to our parents.”

Cabral said the change in provider is based partly on the district’s existing experience with the Boys & Girls Club.

“What we are recommending is that we have some of our YMCA sites shift to Boys & Girls Club,” Cabral said. “Those sites that have Boys & Girls Club right now are doing extremely well.”

The agreement passed 4-0, with Vice President Patty Holohan abstaining from the vote.

About the program: The district operated ELOP programs at 13 sites during the 2025-26 school year. Kingsbury Elementary has now been added back into the overall ELOP network, bringing the district total to 14 campuses.

The state-funded ELOP program was created to provide before-school, after-school and summer enrichment opportunities for transitional kindergarten through sixth-grade students, particularly for low-income families, English learners and foster youth.

District officials have emphasized that ELOP funding is legally designated for expanded learning services and exists separately from the district’s general fund budget pressures.

Great! You’ve successfully signed up.

Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.

You've successfully subscribed to Community Forward Redlands News.

Success! Check your email for magic link to sign-in.

Success! Your billing info has been updated.

Your billing was not updated.